Thursday, August 4, 2011

Taste No 5: Umami Paste

Have you ever made a delicious looking recipe only to find that it totally lacked flavor? I definitely have and I'm always left wondering what the best "quick fix" would be. A little salt? a little red pepper flake action? I think my most recent discovery will be the new solution to my cooking woes.

Taste No. 5: Umami Paste. According to my sources, Umami was discovered approximately 120 years ago by a Japanese scientist but until now has only graced the shelves of Michelin-starred restaurants. It could be the secret to making any dish taste fantastic, so much so that it's newly packaged tube (now being sold in the U.S.) calls it the "fifth taste".  



Available for purchase at Dean and Deluca (and as a 3-pack at Amazon for $21.43) with the following description: "Rich, deep and intensely savory...mouthwatering puree of tomatoe, garlic, anchovy paste, black olives, balsamic vinegar, porcini mushrooms, parmesan cheese, olive oil and a touch of sugar and salt...squeeze it into sauces, gravy and risottos to add remarkable depth and flavor...add it to pastas, soups and stews...smear it on fish, meat or vegetables..."

It's apparently deliciousness in a tube and I may just be squeezing mine straight into my mouth when it arrives on my doorstep this week!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment